Sunday, January 2, 2011

For The New Year Baby

Mealtimes, regardless of the time of day, would be considerably more stylish if one had this Egyptian-inspired highchair, circa 1930, from Maison Jansen.  I presume the lacquered paint finish simulates ebony and ivory, a classic combination that is hard to beat.  Add a quilted fabric lining for protection, and 2011 should be off to a good start.

This photo is from the section on Modern Seating from Jansen Furniture by James Archer Abbott, the 2007 companion volume to Jansen published the previous year, both by Acanthus Press.  James tells us that, in addition to the inventory of period furniture for sale in both the Paris and New York City showrooms, Jansen had their own workshops that could create furniture especially for a certain commission.  In additon, seating frames were sometimes purchased from other sources to be finished in Jansen ateliers, but surely this was custom made for a specific client.  Sadly, I know nothing of the residence for which this highchair was intended, but it must have been spectacular.

11 comments:

  1. Both spectacular and functional as that "mesh" in the front should keep even the most determined baby from sliding out as mine used to do whenever I turned around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fit for a pharoah! My textile design school in Paris was/is still located in the Jansen workshops near the Bastille.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the elegant style of this. Wonder what it would look like after food has been pressed through all of that wire mesh. My play with food baby became a chef. Hard to believe a man who could make you swoon with toad in the hole made of quail eggs and brioche could have spent happy baby time squishing food into various "holding devices."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Readers, for reasons unknown to me, there is a long delay from the time that a comment is left until the time that it appears here. Hopefully, that will not prove to be too discouraging. Please be reminded that your visits to the blog are greatly appreciated, and all is sure to be revealed in due time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello and thanks so much for stopping by La Lamp Shade.

    Best,

    Raina
    If the Lamp Shade Fits

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure that it wasn't practical...but I love the look. K

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting style, however I remember trying to clean my son's artistic highchair!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  8. How charming. Not sure that any of my messy babies would have warranted such high style but it certainly would have looked great in the kitchen! Maybe that's a piece that could be saved for dressy baby occasions in the dining room!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Readers, please be reminded that having help to maintain the stylish interiors created by Maison Jansen was not an issue. Author James Abbott told me that he was not sure which client owned this chair, but my Google search on just one of the known Egyptian clients in the 1930s, Daniel Nessim Curiel, revealed that the family had ten live-in servants and the house is now the Algerian Embassy in Cairo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the chair is certainly a stunner.
    and thanks to you we now have the history of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I knew id love your blog just by the name of it alone, and I was right! The content is A+.
    And I love me some Maison Jensen. I was thrilled to be able to buy my first piece, even if it was for a client. Haahah. But a high chair is something special for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Your interest in this blog is appreciated. Other commitments might prevent an immediate response to your comments or questions. That does not lessen the value of the blog reader's input, however. Only comments relating to the current post are eligible for publication; non-relevant comments and promotional references will be deleted. Contact me at johnjtackett@gmail.com regarding other questions. Anonymous comments cannot be accepted.